German Navy Wilhelm Bauer ex Kriegsmarine U-2540
The U-2540, a German attack U-boat Type XXI, was laid down by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg, on October 28, 1944; and commissioned on February 24, 1945.
U-2540 had no war patrols; she was assigned to the 31st flotilla- a training U-boat flotilla based in Hamburg.
She was scuttled on May 4th, 1945 near the Flensburg lightship. Raised in 1957 to be come the research vessel Wilhelm Bauer (named after german submarine inventor from the mid 18th century, inventor of the Brandtaucher) in the German Navy (Bundesmarine), on September 1st, 1960.
Transferred to the Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum (German Maritime Museum) at Bremerhaven in 1984.
||U-Boot "Wilhelme Bauer" (ex U-2540/Y-880), 07.12.1965, Eckernforde