A memorial at Pearl Harbor
USS Bowfin, (SS-287) a Balao class submarine was launched on December 7, 1942 by Portsmouth Navy Yard and commissioned May 1, 1943.
Between August 16, 1943 and July 4, 1945 she completed nine war patrols operating from the Netherlands East Indies to the Sea of Japan and the waters south of Hokkaido. Bowfin sank 15 merchantmen and one frigate for a total of 68,032 tons. She also shared credit with Aspro (SS-309) for a 4,500-ton merchantman.
Leaving Pearl Harbor August 29, 1945 Bowfin sailed to the east coast, arriving at Tompkinsville, N.Y. She operated with the Atlantic Fleet until placed out of commission in reserve at New London, Conn., February 12, 1947.
Bowfin was recommissioned at New London July 27, 1951. She continued to operate from San Diego on local operations and training exercises until October 8, 1953 when she arrived at San Francisco to commence inactivation. Bowfin was placed out of commission in reserve at Mare Island Naval Shipyard 22 April 1954. Struck from the Navy list
December 1st, 1971, Bowfin became a memorial at Pearl Harbor on August 1st, 1979.
||50th anni` of WW-II. 1943 turning the Pacific tide (sheetlet of 10 stamps), USS Bowfin, SS-287, in margin of souvenir sheet